Peer-reviewed conference presentations
- (with Patrick Elliot, Nathan Klinedinst and Yasutada Sudo) Predicates of relevance and the theories of question embedding. North East Linguistic Society (NELS) 47, October 14-16, 2016, University of Massachusetts Amherst.
- (with Floris Roelofsen) The ignorance implication of inquisitive predicates. Sinn und Bedeutung (SuB) 21, September 4-6, 2016, University of Edinburgh. [handout]
- Japanese alternative questions and a unified in-situ semantics for ka. The 12th Workshop in Altaic Formal Linguistics (WAFL 12). May 13-15, 2016, Central Connecticut University. / XPrag Workshop Disjunction Days: Theoretical and experimental perspectives on the semantics and pragmatics of disjunction. June 2-3, 2016, ZAS Berlin. / Sinn und Bedeutung (SuB) 21, September 4-6, 2016, University of Edinburgh. [slides]
- Predicting the variation in the exhaustivity of embedded interrogatives. LSA 2015 Annual Meeting, January 8-15, 2015, Portland, OR.
- Predicting the variation in the exhaustivity of embedded interrogatives. Sinn und Bedeutung 19, September 15-17, 2014. University of Göttingen.
- Japanese-type alternative questions in a cross-linguistic perspective. Semantics and Linguistic Theory (SALT) 24. May 30 – June 1, 2014. New York University, New York.
- Emotive factives and the semantics of question-embedding. PHLINC2: University of Maryland Philosophy and Linguistics Conference. February 14-15, 2014. University of Maryland, College Park.
- Predicting the distribution of exhaustive inference in a QUD model. Logic and Engineering in Natural Language Semantics (LENLS) 10. October 27-28, 2013. Keio University, Tokyo.
- Predicting the distribution of exhaustive inference in a QUD model. Poster Session, North East Linguistic Society (NELS) 44. October 18-20, 2013. University of Connecticut, Storrs.
- (with Paul Marty) Investigating the alternative-sensitivity of know. Poster Session, Semantics and Linguistic Theory (SALT) 23. May 3-5th, 2013. University of California, Santa Cruz.
- Japanese/Korean alternative questions are disjunctions of polar questions. Poster session, Japanese/Korean Linguistics (JK) 22. October 12-14, National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics, Tokyo.
- Inquisitive knowledge attribution and the Gettier problem. Inquisitiveness Workshop. Amsterdam Colloquium (AC) 2011. December 19-21, Amsterdam. [paper (SpringerLink)]
- Content nouns and the semantics of question-embedding predicates. Sinn und Bedeutung 16. September 6-8, 2011, Utrecht & Colloque de Syntaxe et Sémantique à Paris (CSSP) 2011, September 21-23, 2011, University of Paris, Paris.
- Controller shift in centered-world semantics. Workshop on Grammar of Attitudes. 33rd Deutschen Gesellschaft für Sprachwissenschaft (DGfS), February 23, 2011, University of Göttingen. [handout]
- Attitudes de se and ‘nearly free’ control. Colloque de Syntaxe et Sémantique à Paris (CSSP) 2009, University of Paris Sorbonne, Paris.
- Japanese resultative phrases as verbal degree modifiers. Special Workshop on scale structure & event structure, Chronos 9: 9th International Conference on Tense, Aspect and Modality. University of Paris-Diderot, Paris.
- (with Yusuke Kubota). Nothing else for something else: a variable-free account. General Session, Semantics and Linguistic Theory (SALT) 19, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
- (with Yusuke Kubota). Continuation-based semantics for Conventional Implicatures and the Japanese benefactive. Poster Session, Semantics and Linguistic Theory (SALT) 19, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH.
Invited talks at workshops and seminars.
- Comparing non-reductive theories of question-embedding, DIP colloquium, ILLC, University of Amsterdam, September 23rd, 2016.
- (with Floris Roelofsen) Wonder and embedded exhaustivity, MIT exhaustivity workshop, September 10th, 2016.
- Predicting the exhausivity of embedded questions under factive predicates, Inquisitive Semantics closing workshop “Questions in Semantics and Logic”, December 15th, University of Amsterdam.
- Japanese and the cross-linguistic semantics of question and disjunction, September 24th, Leiden University Colloquium, Leiden, The Netherlands.
- On the projection of the presuppositions of wh-complements, UCL Questions workshop “Questions at the Syntax-Semantics Interface” , September 7th, 2015, UCL, London. [handout]
- Reducing Declarative-Embedding to Question-Embedding: Arguments from Selectional Restrictions, Content Nouns and Exhaustivity. Workshop on complement clauses, truthmaking, and attitudes, February 21, 2015, NYU. [pdf]
- Interpreting questions under attitudes. February 14th, 2015, Harvard University Colloquium, Cambridge, MA.
- Nominal complements of attitude predicates and the semantics of question-embedding. Workshop: Questions in Discourse, September 18-19, 2014. University of Göttingen.
- (with Paul Marty). A grammatical source of the Gettier judgment. Symposium: ‘Know’ in Japanese. November 4th, University of Tokyo, Komaba, Tokyo. (invited)